UK Recruitment Blog

The latest recruitment news and insights by ProCore Solutions Ltd. Contact us on 01925747712.

The workplace is becoming more creative. Personality and cultural fit matter more than ever. A business lives and dies by the strength of its relationships. Work-life balance has become work-life blend. For some people, their colleagues are their family.

It has never been more important to dig deep into someone’s personality in the recruitment process. You want to get a window on their soul, their motivations, their hopes and dreams. The twinkle in their eyes is what sells them to you, that extra “je ne sais quoi” when they talk about their passions. They are the sort of people that you want to work with for the foreseeable future….

All this great stuff is the gold dust of recruitment; this is why we do our jobs.

I would argue that this cannot be reflected in even the best CV.

There is currently something deeply wrong with the first stage of the recruitment process. During that infamous 10-second “scan” of your resume, there is no way that the reader can understand what sort of a person they are dealing with. They may be able to read the words, try to decipher the meaning behind the adjectives, but there is no way of seeing the person behind the words.

There is another way. There will be a real alternative at some point soon.

Before I go on to outline my thoughts, I would like to mention something about the nature of change. Sometimes it takes years or decades for an idea to replace an accepted practice, but when circumstances conspire, the change can come swiftly.

People are now getting more open to sharing their lives on social media. They are uploading videos onto YouTube, sharing selfies on Facebook and writing blogs on LinkedIn. The next stage of the technology revolution is wearable technology. People are happy to share themselves with society like never before.

Now finally getting to the recruitment angle….

Video interview

I can see a world where impromptu video (taken from their phone or watch) will form a key part of the recruitment process. The perception of video as an impersonal and inflexible medium is starting to disappear. Companies could request a Snapchat style introduction based on a couple of key questions, they could view introductory videos on LinkedIn profiles, or entire interviews could be conducted via their smartwatches.

This won’t replace the CV completely, but the smarter companies will quickly realize the value of this interactivity. The video interviewing industry is growing quickly. It has not yet reached the mainstream, and I expect that there will be a good few sceptics responding to this article, but it is definitely the successor of the CV in my view.

What do you think?

If you would like to discuss this short article in more detail then please connect with me and let’s chat.

Lee Narraway

Phone: 01925 747 712
Email: lnarraway@procorerec.com
LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/leenarraway/
Website: www.procorerec.com/

15 thoughts on “The Future of the CV…Another Dimension…

1. Thank you, very apt – my daughter has just been asked to produce a one-minute video as part of her application process!

1. Lee Narraway says:

Good morning, thank you for your comment. Some companies are making video interviews and also candidates need to create a video as part of the recruitment process. I hope you and your daughter find this article interesting and useful. Good luck for your daughter!

Liked by 1 person

1. We did, and thank you!

Liked by 1 person

2. The video application had to be one minute only – and we’ve just heard that it’s got her an interview!

3. Lee Narraway says:

Hello, I’m glad your daughter got a interview!! Good luck!!!

Liked by 2 people

2. Hiya, I am really glad I have found this information. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossip and net stuff and this is actually irritating. A good website with interesting content, that is what I need. Thanks for making this website, and I will be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email?
    cartier ring necklace replica http://www.wdsav.com/category/cartier-necklace-copy

1. Lee Narraway says:

Thanks Cartier for your nice comments!!! Yes we do newsletters by email.

Liked by 1 person

3. I merely desire to reveal to you that I am new to having a blog and thoroughly valued your webpage. Probably I am going to remember your blog post . You undoubtedly have fantastic article information. Acknowledge it for swapping with us your website information
    copy bvlgari snake watch price http://www.go0.co/

1. Lee Narraway says:

Thank you for your nice comments!!!

4. Nspire Recruitment says:

Well Said! People are becoming more open towards social media sharing. They love to post pictures, videos and engage with others on social networking sites. Yes, the interview process is changing as well. Video Interviewing will soon replace the traditional method of interviewing.
    Nspire Recruitment helps candidates and agencies to find the right fit. Candidates can look for job
    by visiting https://nspirerecruitment.com.au/find-a-job/

1. Lee Narraway says:

Hello Nspire Recruitment, thank you for your comments! Yes, I agree that the video interview will be used more frequently by recruiters and recruitment agencies to gain time and take advantage of the video technology and the Internet. Also, I think that candidates will feel more comfortable doing the job interviews from their homes or the places that they choose…..Thanks again…

5. اغانى says:

What’s up,I read your blogs named “The Future of the CV…Another Dimension… | UK Recruitment Blog” on a regular basis.Your story-telling style is awesome, keep doing what you’re doing! And you can look our website about اغانى.

1. Lee Narraway says:

Hello, thanks for your nice comments!! Yes I checked your website, it is great!!!